Thursday 9 August 2012

Olympics and Ramadan


Salams,

What  I wanted to talk about today is actually something that has been a discussion subject that you can’t have missed this year… The Olympics!

After 4 years of gradual build up, we are almost done with the first part, with only to Paralympics to look forward to.

I have to say I have enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Our whole city has transformed… I find it even quieter than usual!

But for our brothers and sisters competing this year, during Ramadan, this must have been a challenge!

Did you know around 3000 of the athletes are practicing Muslims! 3000! Subhanallah! Some of them decided to keep the fast for as long as they could, some will catch up with their lost days later on in the year. Indeed there is a quote in the Qu’ran, and forgive me for not being able to give you the exact quote, which explains that one is not obliged to fast if travelling, as long as they are caught up with later on.

This year has been even more inspiring as Saudi Arabia, Brunei and Qatar had its first female Olympians ever allowed to compete.

Surely you will have heard of the debate around the Saudi Judo athlete who was almost not allowed to compete because of her hijab.

Anyway, I just wanted to reflect upon the achievements reached this Ramadan for these athletes, Alhamdulillah .

And to finish this entry I just wanted to repeat a quote I read on Twitter by a brother last week. (sorry I will get better at giving the correct sources)
“This Ramadan, the Olympics are taking place. They are competing for Gold. We are competing for our place in Jannah”

I wanted to also share this funny image with you, showing the differences of cultures in the Olympics.


And finally look out for some of our sisters and their achievements here:


No comments:

Post a Comment